As we approach the end of the summer, leagues and clubs are holding their championship tournaments. Under the pressure of wanting to play well and win, golfers can become anxious and lose focus. When their swings become erratic trying to make things happen, they make too many mistakes.
Golf is not a game of perfection. An error-free round of golf is not possible. You are going to make mistakes and possibly some bad breaks. A good player knows his mental game determines his attitude, not the results. Here are ten mental tips to manage your game:
- Use a positive pre-shot and post-shot routine. Consistent mental routines will produce consistent shots.
- Trust your swing. Let go of mechanical thoughts. Believe in your ability. It is impossible to “fix” your swing after missing a shot. Instead, find your rhythm and tempo.
- Remember your good shots, not the mistakes. Don’t keep track of your missed shots by continually talking about them. Congratulate yourself for your good shots.
- Play target golf. Take DEAD AIM. Have a clear picture of your target in your mind and swing to it without thinking.
- +Relax your mind and body. You can’t be relaxed and anxious at the same time. Take deep breaths to relax your body and slow down your thinking mind for sharper focus.
- Take the time to manage your game. When you miss a shot, make sure you can recover. Think the shot through. Play only percentage shots that you know you can hit.
- Be patient. Golf is a waiting game. Wait for the opportunities to happen. The more you rush, the less clearly you are able to think. The more you rush, the quicker your swing becomes and the more mistakes you make.
- Concentrate only on your game. Being concerned with your competitor’s game will distract you from being in control of your own game.
- Play one shot at a time. Play each shot as if it is the most important shot you will ever hit by giving it your full intention and attention.
- Change all fear shots into positive images. Stay focused in the present, giving your full attention to what you want to happen, not what you are afraid will happen.
Play “in the zone” with Joan
Entrain Your Heart & Mind for Peak Performances
To train your brain to play your best golf, listen to Positive Mental Imagery self-hypnosis guided imagery CDs in the privacy of your own home, available at www.pmi4.com/cart
If you aren’t able to maintain trust and belief in yourself on the golf course, email Joan at email@example.com or call 828.696.2547 for a complimentary 15-minute phone consultation about developing a new strategy. Learn what is missing in your golf game so you can achieve the success you desire.
All royalties will be donated to Junior Golf!
“THE HEART OF GOLF, Access Your Supreme Intelligence for Peak Performances” explores and explains negative emotions such as fear and performance anxiety, the four Cs of mind blockage, the four progressive stages of learning the supreme intelligence of the heart, and the way to access the zone in competition. It is a player’s guide for developing your true inner self by returning to the joy and love of self instead of seeking praise and rewards from the outside world.